Friday, February 26, 2010

Chocolate, labels, and a whole lotta money

Well as I said before, I took a night train to Zurich.  The night train was…an experience.  First of all, you attempt to find a cabin without anyone in it.  Once you find one, you relish in having a place to sleep for the next eight hours…
Then two other people come into the cabin.  Fortunately you’re able to sneak two chairs to form some sort of bed, but then the other two get the same idea.  Problem is, they toss and turn, forcing them to make contact with you while you sleep which just creeps you out!!!  Ain’t no one gonna be cuddling their butt up next to me on some train.
You’re then constantly being woken up after each stop by the conductor checking your tickets.  You could just leave you EuRail and passport on the door…but really?  I don’t really feel safe with that one.
And finally you arrive at Zurich Central Station after a non-fulfilling night’s sleep, eager for a potty break, and early enough for nothing to be open, save an “American” bagel shop (not even Noah’s) charging six bucks for a bagel with cream cheese.
Then you have to find a locker that will store your huge backpack that has been your life supply for the last week.  After finding one, you realize you need Swiss Francs in order to store anything so you go to change your money only to be given bills, not coins, forcing you to the buy above-mentioned bagel in the hopes of getting change.  Of course you spend all above-mentioned change on above-mentioned locker leaving nothing left to pay for the above-mentioned much-needed potty break in the only bathroom that’s open.
Ok, I’m done talking in the second person.  That was my night/morning to/in Zurich.  It was quite the experience I suppose.  Once I finally got situated, I wandered out onto the Bahnhofstrase…basically the 5th avenue of Switzerland.  As stores were just beginning to open, it was practically empty...
So I wandered down to the farmers market getting some fresh Swiss bread and cheese for breakfast, and sat down on the river’s edge enjoying the people and boats passing by.
Once I was finished I wandered back up this street of labels.  Three years ago, Pat and I did this on New York’s Fifth Avenue.  We had Breakfast at Tiffany’s...
Got cocktails at Snaks at Saks...
 
 
And “stole” bags from all the major stores (ok we didn’t steal, but we asked for one without buying anything.)  It was very nostalgic.  Of course with no one there to enjoy it with me, I spent the time snapping pictures which I then had fun photoshopping on my computer…
 
  
  
  
  
  
  
  
 

I ventured into a little pastry shop that is hugely popular...
Inside they had chocolates galore, but what they’re famous for are these little puff pastry type things.  They’re like little meringue hamburgers filled with cream.  They have tons of different flavors, but since they were ridiculously expensive, I just got four to sample. But look at how they wrapped it up in a cute little box…
I chose champagne, Bailey's, cappuccino, and chocolate…
And all were so delicate, delectable, and delicious!!!
After my adventure with Swiss pastries, I journeyed off the beaten path onto the side streets.  I also had bought a day tram pass, so I just kept getting on the tram and getting off when I saw something interesting.  Then I took some pictures, walked a little, and got on whatever tram came next.  It was quite the system.  I came across some churches…
 
  
 

Some cute riverside buildings…
 
  
 

Some statues and fountains…
 
  
  
  
  

 

The opera (covered by construction)…

Some alleys…
 
  
  
 

And some people…
 
  
  
 
Of course with the people I had to take a couple shots so it looked like I wasn’t taking pictures of them…haha creeper!
And of course there was the Swiss bank…
Because what would the Swiss be, without a ton of money from other countries?  But you know what I realized, regardless of how much money you have, if you’re Swiss, you can tell people in America that you have a Swiss bank account…and that sounds impressive!!
Finally it was time to collect my luggage and hop back onto a train to Baden, where my fellow couch surfer, Seena, was picking me up to travel to Davos where we would be snowboarding together.  So I bid goodbye to the city of money, chocolate, and complete boujie-ness, and headed for the city of snow, more chocolate, and lots of muscle pain.  But that’s a story for tomorrow.

Word of the day: Geld - money (Swiss German)

2 comments:

  1. hahahahh hey nerd, the "ittle meringue hamburgers filled with cream" are called macarons! aaaaand now i'm gonna go sing moon river outside my window. have fun in munster!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had that happen to me in England once. I needed a coin for the bathroom and had NONE!
    Great pictures!

    ReplyDelete

Isn't it amazing how we all live for comments? So please...don't let me starve.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails