Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Top Ten and Six Months

Today is a Tuesday meaning there of course has to be a top ten.  But today is also very special.  Today is my Sixth month anniversary in Holland!  I know!
Six months ago I was arriving at an airport with a two very large suitcases, a (hopefully) small enough carry on, sweatpants, slippers, and a whole stomach full of butterflies.  And now I can't believe I'm already half way done.  When I think about the fact that the adventures I have ahead of me need to all fit into the time that has just passed, I can't figure out how I'm going to do it all.  Which of course then just makes me wonder what to do when I'm done with this year.
But more importantly it makes me think about these last six months.  And how much I've grown, and changed.  Which leads me to the...

TOP TEN THINGS I DIDN'T THINK I COULD DO SIX MONTHS AGO

-Pick up a 17 kilo child with one hand
-Survive a frozen winter
-Speak in kilograms, Celsius, and meters
-Tell you who Sinterklaas is
-Steer a stroller, while holding an ice cream cone in one hand and a 2yo's hand in the other
-Go on a week long trip in a foreign country by myself
-Change a diaper in record time, kicking, cowboy-boot laden, feet and all
-Cook a good meal four times a week
-Navigate any form of public transportation
-Speak/Understand/Read Dutch (well almost)

And a bonus, because this one is still hard, and I thank God for Skype...
-Not see my family and friends for six months a year


NOW

I'd say this experience has definitely changed my life.  And here's to the next six months doing nothing different!

Word of the Day: toen en nu - then and now

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know you were only staying there for a year! Are you going to extend that time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed. Truly, I am. I don't know if I could do something like that! Take a lot of pride in what you've accomplished and soak in the life changing events. You deserve it!!

    ReplyDelete

Isn't it amazing how we all live for comments? So please...don't let me starve.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails