Saturday, January 30, 2010

Must...make it...more...hilarious...too... much...sentiment...

It’s January 30th and you all know what that means!
1. Here in Holland, we are celebrating the end of the 80-year war.  (I don’t know of any actual celebrating, but Wikipedia tells me we should be.)
2. One more day before we are officially in Love-Makes-Libby-Sick mode (by that I mean February and Valentine’s Day)
3. I’ve been in this country for three months!!!

Now it’s time for a little sub list.  Because being in this country for three months also means several things…
1. I’m already one quarter of the way through my journey here in Europe as an aupair.
2. I’ve only got nine more months to get my butt in gear and do some more traveling.
3. I’ve officially been in Europe longer than I’m allowed to be without having a visa.  Fortunately, an application for a visa is an acceptable form of proof that I’m still allowed to be here.  And thank goodness for that, because I still won’t find out about my visa until the middle of April.

It really is crazy to think about three months.  So many things are happening, and I’m missing them.  But at the same time, I’m experiencing a whole new realm of things I can only begin to describe on this thing known as my blog.  I missed Halloween this year.  Sure I put on a shirt that was printed to look like a mummy, but I just sat around in my house that day, lack of confidence keeping me from going into Amsterdam for the Halloween couch surfing meet-up.  But I made Amsterdam Museum n8, meeting new friends, exploring a new city, and experiencing European culture full force. I missed Thanksgiving and Christmas with my family.  Of course when I worked at Disneyland, the same thing happened, but there’s something about being 300 miles away versus being 5000 (sorry...5371) that makes it a little harder to bear.  Then again, when you compare what I’m doing now, to wearing ugly and unflattering green pants and talking about the latest technology, Holland kicks Innoventions’ butt.  Plus being here opened my world to the celebration of Sinterklaas, and the welcoming arms of an adoptive family for the year.  I’m missing Pat’s one-man show, which is sure to be a huge hit.  I’m missing birthdays, parties, shows at school; so many things.  But then I look around and I see the possibilities for trips to far away lands, which thanks to having already crossed that pesky ocean, aren’t actually that far away.  I see the opportunities for cultural enrichment through museums, shows, and celebrations unknown to me before now.

I guess what I’m trying to say, is that it’s been hard.  But I wouldn’t trade it for anything.  I’m happy with what I’m doing and I’m proud I’m out here doing it. So thanks to everyone out there who’s supported me – from my friends whose constant facebooking never fails to keep me in the loop, to my grandparents and extended family, who read my blog religiously and send me emails and letters of love constantly. From my sister who talks to me almost every day on skype, to my parents who make sure we talk at least once a week, and my brother whenever he’s home (get skype doofus!)  From my new friends and family here, who have made the transition so much easier, to you, the readers of the blogging world, who prove that in internet world, being 5371 miles away is the same as living next door to each other.  And knowing I’ve got the support of all of you will make nine more months breeze by just as the last three already have.
Aw shucks…it seems I’ve gotten sentimental.

Word of the day: reis - journey

4 comments:

  1. ... but now you have new ones like... meeeee! i'mso glad we met at museumnacht! that was my second day living here and it was totally serendipitous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww Libby, you are living an amazing life right now! I've only known a handful of people that have lived abroad (not counting military) and they have the best stories and life experiences to share. You not only will have a richer history, but will enrich those around you because of it. You rock.

    That's not to say that it isn't lonely sometimes, I can imagine that you just want to ((hug)) your family and friends sometimes. I complain sometimes b/c one of my sisters lives 2 states away and I say she might as well live 10,000 miles away. But that's just not true. A days drive or less and we could see each other....so I understand what you're saying. There is a difference.

    Wishing you the happiest journey!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you're looking to avoid Valentine's Day completely, you should know Feb 14th is also CHD (congenital heart defect) Awareness Day.

    You can keep all the cute hearts and help some kids without having to don black or kick things ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I think missing family is the hardest thing about being an Expat. I don't know what I'd do without my computer and our fast internet connection!

    ReplyDelete

Isn't it amazing how we all live for comments? So please...don't let me starve.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails