Sunday, January 31, 2010

The Princess and the Well-Crafted Frog Earrings

It’s time to toot my own horn.  I don’t mind saying that I am quite the crafty person.  I enjoy doing artistic things.  I am not a great painter, or drawer, or sculptor, or any of those other revered forms of art, but my scrapbooks have brought tears to eyes and my Christmas decorating skills rival Martha Stewart herself.  I’m not incredibly public about these abilities.  But when people ask about my purse, I’m proud to tell them I made it.  I think my greatest skill is my ability to not spend money…on craft supplies.  (My ability to not spend money in general, is well, generally nonexistent, and a whole other story.  But that's besides the point...)
Suzan works for a company that produces the majority of Disney magazines in Dutch.  And she’s high up too.  In fact, her name is second on the inside cover of all those magazines, under only the president of the company.  Some of the many publications she’s responsible for include, The Donald Duck magazine, dutch Nick Jr., and the Cars magazine (Nina's favorite.)
Well anyway, through this job, and Disney, she was invited to the Dutch premiere of, “De Prinses en de Kikker” or “The Princess and the Frog.”
In attendance were many important people of the Disney Company, as well as all the stars that had voiced the Dutch version.  It was very hoity toity.  One of the requirements was that they had to wear something princess, or something frog.  And aside from my constant attempts to get Rogier into a ballgown, neither of them had any idea what to wear.
This is where I came in!  I bought a seed bead necklace that was on sale for 50 cents, some thin wire, some earring hooks, and voila…
Little kikkers!  Do you like them? I used to make all sorts of beaded earring when I was younger for my family to stuff into Christmas stockings.  Of course not to leave Rogier out, I made him a little boutonnière as well…
But then Suzan brought home a little frog that the people from her division were all planning on wearing.  And she had no idea what to do with it besides string it on some green ribbon and wear it around her neck.  But Libby had other plans for it.  And a day off later, I had  completed her corsage to accompany the outfit…
So whaddya think?  I’m really proud of them.  It’s been a while since I’ve gotten to do outrageously crafty things, but I always enjoy it.  In fact I have half a mind to redecorate my house…but that just brings us back to that need to not spend money, and then we have a problem.  So until I convince them the house definitely needs an interior paint job, I’ll just stick to the occasional clearanced knick knack that I have no need for and will be thrown out in nine months when I realize it doesn’t fit in my suitcase.
Till tomorrow!

Word of the day: uh…kikker…duh - frog

3 comments:

  1. I had NO idea you were in AMSTERDAM! Oh my gosh...what an adventure!! Hope all is well! Sending love from the 'irv!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think they seed bead frogs are adorable! How long did it take you to make them? Had you made frogs before? Pretty cool stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i bet theres lots of old ladies in noordwijk who would like to craft it up with you! :)

    ReplyDelete

Isn't it amazing how we all live for comments? So please...don't let me starve.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails