Monday, May 10, 2010

I want nothing else...

The year was 1999 in the San Francisco Bay Area. Bell bottoms had returned and the shirts had gotten short.  A new music known as “alternative” was hitting the streets and the kids were doing a new thing called “moshing.”

Oh wait.  That’s right it was 2010, I was in Amsterdam and was wearing nothing close to bell bottoms and a crop top…except I was still listening to alternative rock and attempting to definitely “mosh.”  So why this sudden flashback to Middle School?  Because last night I saw one of my favorite bands of all time – Third Eye Blind.

For those of you who don’t know or only think you might know them, Third Eye Blind is responsible for the ever popular
Doo doo doo, doo do doo dooo, doo doo doo, doo do doo dooo, doo doo doo, doo do doo dooo, doo doo doo
Also known as “Semi-Charmed Kind of Life.” (oh, now you see it)

As psyched as Mags and I were, we assumed we’d be in a large club attempting to even get a good look at the stage and maybe be able to dance a little while signing along to our favorite songs.
But no!  When we got into the stage area, we were able to walk right up to the front.  And when the band came out to perform there were maybe four people I would have had to step on should I feel so inclined to climb onto the stage and jump the lead guitarist (which I soooo wanted to do trust me.)
It’s amazing how you’re transported back to being a kid with a crush when you come into contact with said crush.  (I still get woozy when I watch Chris O’Donnell on NCIS: LA)
What I couldn’t get over was the amount of Dutch people there that seemed to know all the lyrics.  I mean, I knew they are an internationally known band and did tours (including Amsterdam) before, but somehow I was surprised when the Dutch boys next to me started singing along.  Here’s a little clip from Jumper.  This was my high school boyfriend’s favorite song…I still think of him every time I hear it…
And no that is not me singing completely off key.  I don't know what you're talking about.
And here’s some more shots of the band.  It should be noted that I didn’t have use zoom at all.  This is really how close they are.  I know.  Lucky right?
I just can’t get over it…there they were…rocking their hearts out. singing old and new songs, and admitting to missing California almost as much as I did.  Which meant I had to get this shirt…
Of course I also had to go on iTunes and buy their new album.
It’s times like this when I wish I had twitter on my phone.  Now you remember how I’m not a huge tweeter? Well in this case, I could have sent them a message and then in my wildest dreams they would have written back right after the show and we would have met up for a drink in Amsterdam.  So I blame the phone.  Because that’s the only fault I see in that plan.
So 3eb if naturally you’re reading this, and you rocked Amsterdam so hard core Saturday night.  I love you.

Word of the Day: rockmuziek - rock music

3 comments:

  1. hahahahah what a nerd! glad you girls had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I love them! They are such a great band!

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOW COOL! I loved them back in the day... middle school. :)

    ReplyDelete

Isn't it amazing how we all live for comments? So please...don't let me starve.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails