Sunday, September 5, 2010

When you're in love with a married man, you shouldn't wear mascara

No I'm not having a completely scandalous affair.  It's just time for another...

IM-DuB-it is my quest to watch all the movies on the IMDB top 250 list.  Of course this is ever changing, so my quest will never actually be fulfilled.  If I can get myself to the theatres, I can knock out Inception, and if I understood more Dutch, Toy Story 3 would be crossed off at the beginning of summer.  But I have no desire to spend 8 euros on a movie when that can buy me a round trip ticket to Amsterdam or a meal (or two) on the traveling road.  But I can still try to watch others.  And with the miracle of the internet, I present you with my latest film at number 97...



Released in 1960, directed by Billy Wilder, and staring the very young and very adorable Shirley MacLaine and Jack Lemmon.
A ridiculously cute little movie, it was nominated for ten Academy Awards, winning five of them, including Best Picture.
It was inspired by the Noel Coward film "Brief Encounter" which was inspired by his one act play "Still Life."  It also went on to inspire the musical "Promises, Promises."

According to IMDB, Bud Baxter is a struggling clerk in a huge New York insurance company. He's discovered a quick way to climb the corporate ladder - by lending out his apartment to the executives as a place to take their mistresses. He often has to deal with the aftermath of their visits and one night he's left with a major problem to solve.

I love Lemmon's character.  There's something about it that could only be pulled of in those days.  If someone were to create a character with that amount of slap stick and over acting, he would never make it in the film business.  But back then, what he did was an art.  And I love him for it.
MacLaine is just too adorable for words.  And her haircut makes me wish I had my short hair again.  She's just so cute and vulnerable you almost overlook the fact that she's having an affair with a married man.  And then Lemmon comes in and awkwardly attempts to sweep her off her feet.

The movie is a quiet comedy.  No real laugh out loud jokes, but a constant smile none the less.  If you're in the mood for a movie from the golden age of film, I'd highly suggest renting this one, curling up with some tea, and having a wonderful night in.

Word of the Day: appartement - apartment

No comments:

Post a Comment

Isn't it amazing how we all live for comments? So please...don't let me starve.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails